Sunday, December 14, 2008

Today's sermon

Except for the whole strange-O-Come-All-Ye-Faithful incident, the church service today was so amazing. Pastor Shelby was preaching on King Herod killing all of the boys under 2 in Bethlehem to try and get rid of Jesus. (See Matthew 2:16-18 if you don't know this part of the story.) He was talking about how we have to believe that God can redeem even the worst, most evil things that happen to us for his glory. A lot of things struck me, but here's the quote that stayed with me -
"If the gospel can't redeem this (Herod killing the babies), then it is no gospel."
He said that when horrible things happen, to us or to someone else, we should cry with them, acknowledge that sin and evil exist, and then offer the hope of the gospel. Another quote I liked was
"People say that time heals all wounds. That is a lie. Time can't heal wounds, it can only dull them a little bit. Only God can heal."
I thought it was an incredibly powerful sermon, and I am not doing it justice here. If you would like to listen to, you can download it off of the church's website.

Then we sang FOUR songs! Singing is my favorite part of the service and it just seemed extra powerful today for whatever reason. We sang one of my favorites, In Christ Alone. Printing the words doesn't do the song justice. With the band and everyone singing loudly, it gave me chills.

I'm so happy I found WEPC! If you ever want to visit with me, I'd love to have you :)

1 comment:

Laura: One Day At A Time said...

yayyyy! i'm happy for you, too. i wish we could go to church together (and NO, i am not moving to richmond!) ;)