Monday, January 5, 2009

The mini-debacle


I haven't posted much about my TarHeels this season because they've been good beyond belief and I've been busy. They've been a unanimous #1 and although they've looked not as good as they should have the last few games, they were clearly the most dominant team in the country.

Until last night.

When they LOST. To BOSTON COLLEGE.

(Who, in case you were wondering, was picked to finish #11 out of 12 in the ACC this year)

I'm calling it the mini-debacle, because the big debacle was, of course, the disastrous Final Four game against Kansas last year.

There was no defense last night. None. I'm not sure the boys even remembered what a rebound was. And the shots just weren't going down. We shot something like 38% for the game and only like 55% from the FREE throw line. At one point, clutch time, near the end of the game, we had three completely wide open 3-pointers in a row (on one posession) and bricked them all. It was physically painful to me.

I've said all along I wouldn't mind us losing an early season game to get that undefeated talk out of the way and make the team realize that they aren't invincible. But this was a CONFERENCE game. Our conference opener, in fact, which makes it more painful.

But we learn and move on. It's not the tournament, and we still have a great shot at being national champions. I am not going to be depressed about this, I am not going to be depressed about this, I am not going to be depressed about this...

(Why I take basketball so seriously and what needs to be done about it is clearly an issue, yet a topic for another day)

Wednesday I have my 6-month follow up with Dr. Elliot. I'll have blood work done at that point, so we'll see how everything is coming along. This whole constantly needing new clothes thing is really wearing on me, although I know it's a good thing and not something I should be complaining about. I'll let you know what he says!

No comments: