Saturday, January 31, 2009

Overestimating my running abilities

So this morning was a 3 mile group run with the training program. Let me first mention that two days ago I ran five miles - FIVE MILES - around my apt. complex. I was so excited and proud :)

This morning's 3 mile run nearly killed me. I mean, it was bad. I was slow, I felt yucky, I didn't think I was going to make it. I don't know if it's because it was so cold or I was running in the morning instead of afternoon like I usually do, or if I just felt worse about it b/c I could see how many people were running faster than me. But it made me, truly for the first time, doubt my ability to do this race. I know that I have 2 months to go. And, truly, I should be absolutely thrilled to be able to do anything close to what I'm doing considering where I was a year ago. But you know my family motto - "Good enough is never good enough".

*Ugh* LIFE. Why does it have to be so complicated?!?!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Hey- it sounds like you are doing great. My first thought is that you might be dehydrated which can make you feel achey, slow and generally yucky. Before Dr. Mike runs a race, he drinks so much he has to pee every 15 min. No kidding. And the 5 miles you did the other day would have taken a lot out of you. Also, Dr. Mike says that with running - you have good days and bad days. You know you can run 5 miles, because you did it. So not feeling well with 3 miles just means you were having an off day. Keep it up. We are proud of you!

Joy said...

Sarah, I totally agree with Vicki (plus my own experience) that running 5 miles earlier this week can def. be one of the reasons that this run felt so awful. Long Runs (prob your Saturday run) should be your slowest run of the week. You should do your best to get adequate sleep on Friday night...adequate fluids too--not just the morning of, but also the day before and NO ALCOHOL the night before. I KNOW that being left behind with your own thoughts and feeling slow is NOT fun. But it's YOUR race, your run...and pushing yourself to do more than what your body is ready for...is asking for burn-out and injury. Whose to say those folks are faster...maybe they feel lousy too. Was 5 miles on your YMCA schedule? If not, I suggest you just follow what your schedule says...in general you should not be increasing your weekly mileage more than 10% over the previous week--unless your coach tells you to.

There are some great articles online at www.roadrunner.com for beginner runners. They'll have tips and ideas for making your long runs a bit more pleasant. But heck this is running...and it is exercise...so it's not always going to be fun. :) Cheers my friend, you are doing GREAT! love ya.