Saturday, November 22, 2008

Warm fuzzies

Sometimes being a teacher leads to great moments. (And often it leads to very stressful moments, but this is not about those) Last week, my 3rd graders were using a basic template to write a poem about something they like. Here's sweet Daija's poem:

Ms. Nash

I like Ms. Nash
Ask me why
Because she is beautful
Because she is funny
Because she bring books to me
Because she is nice
Because she help me on my test
Because she have nice hair
Because she have nice jewelry
Because
Because
Because
I like Ms. Nash

Not to be outdone, Tre'Shanna threw away the template and produced this one:

I like Ms. Nash

She is nice to me
and she help me on
everthing and she
help me on the test
and she her hiar is long
and her shirt is my
fivorte coler love
Tre'Shanna

We may have some work on spelling and grammer to do still :), but I may frame them anyway. I just love these kids! Last week's dance party was another example of how awesome they are :)

Today I went to Charlottesville to shop with my cool friends Sarah and Meg who used to teach with me. We went to the Barracks Road shopping center and David Baldacci was there speaking and signing books at the Barnes and Noble! I love his books and was so excited. Sarah and Meg patiently waited over an hour while I listened to him talk and waited in line to get him to sign a book to my grandmother (I was #65 in line!)

I have decided that in order to solidify my status as a young adult woman, I need to join a book club. Because that's what we do. So I am now officially looking for a book club to join. I don't know how to begin. Any ideas?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

join mine!!!!!!!!!!!
Those poems are too sweet. You need stuff like that to get you through all the other junk that goes along with teaching!

tidwell&perryman said...

i need a book club too....i have great intentions.

just wanted to pass along a word of encouragement...it's getting cold here in tennessee which means i want to eat more and exercise less....so if it feels that way where you are just keep your head up and your eyes on the prize. I still am just so inspired by your journey, sarah!

Anonymous said...

I'm in a book club, too. You are welcome to join. I'm jealous you got David Baldacci to sign a book!

Laura: One Day At A Time said...

THAT IS SO SWEET. I love what kids say sometimes. Then again, sometimes what they say is really annoying... ;) You are such a good teacher!! Book Clubs: you know me. I don't do things like book clubs or ipods or texting or other "in" activities, so I will be useless to you in that regard. Good luck finding something, though, I can see you enjoying something like that!

Anonymous said...

Hey gal! I saw you were looking for a "book club" and I have an idea for you :) GoodReads.com. I started a month or so ago, and already I'm in a group read where we're discussing the book section by section. AND I just won a free book from the giveaways you can sign up for! What could be better than free books? HAHA. Here's the link to my profile - link up with me if you register and let's start reading! :)
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/731321