Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'm going granola!

So I went to the Center of Integrative Medicine today. They were the people referred to me (by my surgeon's office) for my pre-op nutritional counseling. I wasn't really sure what to expect. It turns out that it was a 3-month program that includes meeting with the doctor, a psychological exam, meetings with a "Life Coach", individual sessions and large group meetings with a nutritionist, an eating plan (NOT a diet!), and an exercise plan with personal training sessions each week.
Here are the positives:
  • I get to work with all of those professionals together to help me figure out a plan that works for me.
  • I'm getting a jump start on weight loss and lifestyle changes.
  • They give you this heart rate monitor and special watch that monitors and records your heart rate - they download your personal training program into the watch and then when you come back they hook the watch back up to the computer to find out how you did. (Some have referred to it as a "tattletale watch") Really, that's just a cool little technology thing.
  • My motivation for chosing the RNY surgery was, "If I'm going to do this, I'm going all the way" If I truly believe that, getting started with extra help now makes sense.
  • I can stay with them after the surgery, even have the doctor there become my primary care doctor if I want to.
  • The nutritionist I would be working with had gastric bypass surgery and has been very successful, so she's a great resource.
Here are the negatives:
  • Money. Insurance pays for some of it, but it will end up costing around $1,000. I am NOT taking money from my parents for this - they have already paid for my gym membership and are paying for the surgery. It will take a full third of my savings (I know, my savings are pitiful) but I can do it. I can make it cost a little bit less by not doing the full exercise program, but really when we're already paying tens of thousands of dollars, is a few hundred worth worrying over?
  • It requires a big-time commitment. Can I do it? Well, I better be able to b/c once I have the surgery I'm committed for sure!
  • The whole practice is very yoga-natural remedy kind of crunchy and that's not really me. Give me artificial sweeteners and antibiotics any day! This will be more of an issue if I end up using them as my PCP, since I don't have one in Richmond yet.
  • There's an issue with my psychological evaluation. I have one scheduled for tomorrow with someone else that has been pre-approved already, but the center would prefer that I do it with their psychologist, which makes sense. So I have to see if I can get my approval switched, blah blah blah.
So I came home, thought about it, looked into it a little bit more, prayed about it, and talked to my mom. I've decided to do it. I'm going to call in the morning and ask them what to do about the insurance thing for the psychological evaluation. I may have to pay a penalty for canceling at the last minute. I may tell them to reschedule it for a later date and then call to cancel several days out so I'm not canceling within 24 hours and incurring a possible penalty ;) So we'll see how that goes.

Watching the 'Heels right now. They're not looking good, but they're leading and they'll be able to pull this one out over Florida St. I'll update after the game. Something to look forward to!

No comments: