Friday, May 23, 2008

Cheating

Hi from Charleston!  I just got here (around 10 pm) so I won't get to see that sweet baby until morning.  I can't wait!

I totally cheated tonight.  On the way here, I did something I haven't done in a long time - stopped at McDonalds for dinner.  I haven't had McDs in 6 weeks since I started all of the special diets.  Also - I got a Diet Coke!  I haven't had one since I gave them up 2 months ago. And guess what? It was gross. Hated it.  All of it - even the coke.  I couldn't even eat it.  Before I would eat it when I wasn't even hungry.

So I guess I really am changing, which is a good thing.  I know I have to be careful so I don't change back.  But it makes me feel like I really can do this thing.  I've been worried because one of the benefits of the RNY surgery is that you get sick when you eat things you shouldn't.  In the past, that hasn't exactly stopped me from eating them.  But tonight I learned that it can.  And it will.

Happy long weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I've been worried because one of the benefits of the RNY surgery is that you get sick when you eat things you shouldn't. In the past, that hasn't exactly stopped me from eating them.

Well, YES and NO. I can only assume that you are referring to Dumping Syndrome which is a bloodstream reaction to SUGARS primarily. You need to know that about 40% of RNYers DO NOT dump. You may not dump period. I could eat practically all the sugar I wanted. The only thing that would affect me would be something particularly high in sugar like a McFlurry. I could easily do cookies, cakes - all those things without getting stick. IT IS STILL A MATTER OF WILLPOWER. Your appetite isn't as ferocious early out but you still have to focus on eating stuff that is good for you regardless. Your quantity is limited and for the first year quantities you can eat and quantities that your body absorbs are low -- but after that things change!

As well, remember DUMPING ---this is for SUGAR not for things like BIG MACS. I know a lady who at 2 months out was eating Egg McMuffins for breakfast every day. Guess what - she is still obese a year later! It's all about making healthy choices.

Honestly, you have to wrap your head around the fact that regardless of possible "side effects" RNY is NOT going to be a walk in the park. It is still hard work to resist goodies now and again.

At 2 years out, I could easily eat 4 pieces of pizza or a whole big mac.

It is still WORK to resist goodies. There is no magic about this surgery and you right away need the mindset that you are no longer going to live to eat.

Dawn
http://home.cogeco.ca/~diminishingdawn