Saturday, September 6, 2008

Born in the wrong era


I just finished watching "Ever After" with Drew Barrymore. I bet I've seen that movie 50 times and I just love it! It (and other movies - remember my recent obsession with "Pride and Prejudice"?) always make me wish I had been born a long time ago. There's just something that I like about societies that have rules and ways of behaving - when people were polite. I know, I know - movies always make it seem better than it was. But the complicated clothes are so neat. And that order just appeals to me. Plus, hello? Could I meet a prince like Dougray Scott? *sigh*

Not to mention, the movie closes with one of my all time favorite movie ending lines -
"And though Cinderella and her prince did live happily ever after; the point, gentlemen, is that she lived."

Seriously, check out how cool long-ago movie clothes are. Here's a scene from Pride and Prejudice:


And this one is from First Knight. I love, love, love First Knight. (to be honest, ever since we performed Kids From Camelot in the 5th grade, I've loved everything to do with Camelot. Like the old musical one? Rocks. "I wonder what the king is doing tonight. What merryment is the king pursuing tonight?" Aubrey? You feeling me?) I'm not a huge Julia Ormond fan, but I love this movie. There's a dress that she wears in it (in the Round Table scene) that I've always thought I would want my wedding dress modeled after. After an extensive internet search, I have been sadly unable to find a picture of it. But here's a picture of an example of her cool costumes from that movie:


Also, she got to wear capes. Which is awesome.

I have another favorite movie ending line that I love, but I can't think of it right now. Although the ending of First Knight, where they float the king out and set him on fire, is one of my favorites as well. I cry every single time. Know any good ones? Leave it for me - it may be the one I'm trying to think of! If I figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know. I know you'll be waiting anxiously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids from Camelot was a lot of fun to do. :) I hadn't thought about that in a long time...

Anonymous said...

"Since the invention of the kiss, there have been five that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The End." --Princess Bride