Thursday, September 11, 2008

Little updates :)

It just occurred to me the other day - when I read other WLS patient's blogs, I always want to know how much weight they're losing. Yet I never post mine. I don't know why. Maybe b/c I already know so I'm not curious :) Anyway, it's not a secret so I thought I'd share. To date, since I started pre-op "boot camp" back in March, I've lost about 75 pounds. It hasn't come off evenly, though. The stats:
  • Pre-op (3 1/2 months): 27 pounds
  • 1st 2 weeks after surgery: 20 pounds
  • Next 6 weeks: 17 pounds (yes, this was a very frustrating 6 weeks)
  • Last 2 weeks: 11 pounds
I think that comes out close to 75. I'm thinking the goal is to average around 5 lb/week. Everyone has different ideas, though.

This was an exciting WLS-related story: I have these pants that I love. They're from Lands End, just elastic-waist, loose, cotton pants. When I'm at home I practically live in them, and I wear them to sleep in a lot (I have two pairs). I've noticed just in the last week or so that they're really getting too big to wear. This morning they literally fell off of me as I was walking from the bathroom to my bedroom. Just fell off. As excited as I am about the lost weight, I'll be a little sad to lose my favorite pants...

I'm such a nerd. Tonight I'm reading Practice with Purpose by Debbie Diller and I'm just so interested and enthralled by it. I love it! I read Literacy Work Stations when I was a K teacher, but it's so much fun to learn about what these bigger kids can do. I can't wait until I get to stop giving QRIs and get to start actually teaching! (Do not get me started on the nonsense that is preventing me from doing that now. I might just scream.) Don't get me wrong - I actually enjoy assessing kids, especially being able to do it like I am not - without having to be teaching the class at the same time. But let me give you this example - one student read me a 591 word passage yesterday. It took him 11 minutes. ELEVEN. MINUTES. To give you a frame of reference here, this entry alone is 583 words. And I have to do this for all 50-some odd 5th graders. Plus the word lists and comprehension questions. So while I don't mind doing it, it's very time consuming. Plus, I've heard the same 4 passages over and over and over again. Anyone want to know about Johnny Appleseed? Lois Lowry? Margaret Mead? I can fill ya in.

Brian came home from the hospital today. When I talked to Mom, she was sitting on the bed, burping Brian reading to Abby who was sitting beside her. Does that sound awesome or what? I was jealous. When I talked to Bruce and asked him how Brian liked his house so far he said, "He thinks it's a great place to sleep in" Apparently Brian isn't doing the awake-time thing so much yet. That's ok, though. And he didn't cry at all when they put him in his car seat. So hopefully this trend will continue and he will be laid-back. My sister deserves one laid-back child :)

Ok, back to the book now! UNC football is on ESPN tonight. That doesn't happen often, so check it out. Go Heels!!!

No comments: