Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Surgery Eve

Well, tomorrow's the big day. It's hard to believe that my surgery day is finally here. I've been waiting and planning for so long that I'm not quite sure how I feel about it! I've been in sort of a denial/procrastination mode where I really haven't been getting the things done that I should have been. (i.e., sitting here typing instead of working on cleaning) I'm not sure it's quite real to me yet - although the fact that I can't eat anything today is driving the point home somewhat :)

So my surgery is tomorrow at 7:30 am at Henrico Doctor's Hospital (Parham). Which means I have to be there at 5:30. Wow, that's early - but it suits me. I might as well go ahead and get it over with. And do you think I'll really be able to sleep tonight anyway? My mom is coming up tonight and staying with me for a week. Bless her - tomorrow is her birthday! Barring any complications, I will be in the hospital until Friday morning.

I'm nervous, but not really having second thoughts. I've come too far for that. Honestly, I'm more worried about the next 6-8 weeks of recovery than I am about the long term. I won't be laid up that long, but that's how long it will take my "pouch" to heal so that I can eat real food again. I'll be on full liquids only for 2 weeks, then 4 weeks or so of soft and mushy foods. I know that eventually - after a year or so - I'll be able to eat pretty much anything, just very small amounts, so I'm not really worried about feeling deprived long term. To be successful, though, I'll have to be careful about what I eat. I feel prepared for that. Let's get on with it already!

So today I'm cleaning my house (so my mom doesn't see what a slob I am!) and running some last minute errands - getting my anti-nausea prescription filled for tomorrow, doing lots of laundry (I have to be very clean tomorrow - wash with antibacterial wash, sleep on clean sheets, etc), buying my vitamins, packing my bag, etc. A friend brought me over lots of protein for the shakes that I'll have to live on for the next two weeks (Thanks, Cherritta!) She had Dr. Elliot as well and has done wonderfully!!!!!!

I've gotten nothing but support from family, friends, support groups, etc. Everyone has been really wonderful and, if I could just get this apartment clean!, I'm ready to get this show on the road! I'll see ya again on the other side........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats and welcome to the loser's bench.

If you have any questions, concerns or "is this normal?" type thoughts, email me anytime.

Dawn
goldenlover@cogeco.ca